I recently learned that the simple process of soaking nuts and seeds (even grains) improves their nutrition and helps our body digest them easier. I had no idea, but as of lately, I have been experimenting with this process and I have an easy nut granola recipe to share.
Raw nuts (and especially raw seeds), contain moderate levels of phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. Phytic acid is biologically necessary for the plant by preventing the seed from sprouting prematurely. Enzyme inhibitors keep our body from absorbing all the nutrition in our food. This can cause potential problems in humans by binding to nutrients in the body and contributing to nutrient deficiencies and digestive system irritation.
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup raw almonds (or swap for another nut like pecans or cashews)
Pinch of sea salt
¼ cup raw honey or maple
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
or coconut oil
3 Tablespoons raw cacao or natural cocoa powder
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 Tablespoons chia seeds
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 oz your favorite dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Soak walnuts and almonds, cover in water with a pinch of salt overnight or for about 8 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the nuts and quickly dry in cloth towel. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
3. Place the nuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse briefly until just coarsely chopped.
4. In a small saucepan over low heat melt together the butter or oil and honey stirring continually to combine. Add in the cacao powder along with a pinch of salt and the vanilla and whisk to blend until well combined.
5. Add the chocolate mixture to the food processor and pulse to combine.
6. Add the chia seeds and shredded coconut to the bowl and pulse again or hand mix until everything is combined.
7. Spread chocolate nut mixture evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 200 degrees for about 3-4 hours, or until dry and crispy.
8. Once cooled, stir in chopped chocolate and store in glass jar or container.
Enjoy over yogurt or your milk choice, or even on top of a banana smeared with almond butter.